This is by far the most requested, best loved appetizer at my parties! Whether it be Christmas or tailgating, these Brown Sugar Bacon Lil Smokies will be a hit and usually the first to go. I’ve been making them for years and actually got the original recipe out of a holiday appetizer magazine but I’ve made some changes. I’ll also give you my tips and tricks that I’ve learned over the years.
What you’ll need:
1 package of Bacon (I recommend Center Cut)
1 package of Lil Smokies (I use all Beef)
1/2 cup (approx) light brown sugar (be sure it’s fresh)
1. Line a large cookie sheet with foil and spray with non stick cooking spray (spraying is very important or they will stick)
2. Cut each piece of bacon into three even pieces. *I like using Center Cut and have found this works best. It’s leaner and the pieces are more even.
3. Pour the brown sugar into a bowl to dredge each of the wrapped smokies. *I say to use fresh brown sugar because I find it sticks best and is less clumpy than sugar that’s old.
4. Next, wrap each smokie with bacon. I find if I slightly stretch each piece of bacon around the smokie, it holds better.
5. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until the bacon is cooked.
This year I tried to make things easier on myself and used the sugar in bag method. Kind of like old school Shake and Bake. Wrap the smokies as usual but stick a toothpick into each one to secure the bacon. I add about 8-10 at a time to a ziplock bag filled about 1/4 full of Brown Sugar. Shake a few times and then lay out on the foil lined cookie sheet.
I serve these on a plate or in a bowl with decorative toothpicks for easy access and eating.